Tuesday 2 September 2008

Only children know what they are looking for

Note to self: long exposure times can make a b00n photographer look professional

I realized something today. The old saying "If life hands you lemons - make lemonade!" might not be as far-fetched as I had thought originally. As you may or may not know/care, I'm in the process of finding a job that suits me. And with me I mean my personality as well as my abilities (biiiig difference, believe me!). Just now as I was sitting here typing this entry, I realized that it's all about doing something that you love, that's the easy part. But it's actually all about loving something that you do - and that's completely different. 

Just like getting what you want and loving what you have are two completely different things, doing what you love and loving what you do are like one situation looked at from 2 angles. I just need to find a way to combine a job that I'm good at and trained for with the love I find for doing certain things.

I'm a scientist by education. So if I want a job where I can work with people, I can concentrate on teaching students. If I want to be creative, I can create imaginative experimental setups or write research papers in a way that's neither dull nor plain. If I want to travel, I can give talks in the whole world and if I need flexibility in my day, I can rearrange my workload accordingly. I actually find that I already have a job that I can love doing, while I do something meaningful.

That's the plan. I'll let you know, if it works out.

No comments: