Tuesday 2 June 2009

What's it all about, Alfie?

What is life all about? No, really - someone tell me. For me, life is about variations of the same thing. However, these variations come in shapes and sizes so vastly different that you can barely figure out the original plan. And maybe that’s my problem. I can’t figure out the original plan. It’s funny though, because everytime I figure out what one shade looks like, I’m into another one. I’m growing and I’m changing and, therefore, I’m gradually out-growing everything I thought was important to me. Even the constants change (if that is even possible for a constant). I love art. I love music. I love movies. However, my taste in these things has gradually been changing. Granted, I still love Monet&Klinger-Franken, Mozart&Bach, and Disney&Ghibli. But now, I also love Picasso,The Bird and the Bee, and Angels in America. I am changing, but I’m also staying the same.


I think that’s what’s important in life. Change. Ever change. Never stay the same. Also, stay true to who you are. The balance between changing all the time and staying yourself at your very core. This is what matters. If you manage to do that, you will find the common place. The site where all the variations find their origin. Because everything we are, everything we love… originates from our true self. That means that what life is all about also originates from this deep well that some people might call our soul.

What is life all about? I can only answer that one for me, because it’s a different answer for everyone. Funny thing that my posts in the last weeks all centre around this topic. What makes people different, what makes people the same. Why can something that is the same be different for everyone.


Ask someone the question “What is life all about?” and you will get different answers. Most people will tell you that they don’t know. Many will tell you that life is about happiness and success. Some will be wise enough to tell you that they can only answer you this question for themselves. The really wise might tell you the following:


It’s not about knowing what life’s all about. It’s about living your life in a way that makes you feel like you know what life’s all about. Because we can never know the common origin. We can only know the variations.


Lyrics of the day: The Rainbow connection by Kermit the Frog.

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
And rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it,
And look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing
And what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

All of us under its spell,
We know that it's probably magic...

... Have you been half asleep? And have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
... Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same
I've heard it too many times to ignore it
It's something that I'm s'posed to be...
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.

No comments: