Sunday 14 June 2009

The word sabbatical gains popularity in my book these days

My life these days is really really hectic. I don't know if I like it ;)

I just had a "long" weekend. Thursday was a religious holiday here, so I had the "chance" to drive with my parents on a little 1-day-family-vacation. Basically, I spent the day driving in a car, studying and speaking French. One more thing: my French these days sucks major a$$.

Friday was my day for errands, flew by. Now there's Saturday... the big day. 2 of my friends got married yesterday. Congrats to them :) It was very sweet and a lot of fun (even though it lasted about 12h). The picture above was taken by my phone (hence the quality) when we went to the river and put self-made paper boats on the river with little candles and wishes for the couple. The night was clear and crisp and everything was so idyllic. I mean look at that picture (you can see the neighbouring village over the river).

Is marriage something I would consider for myself? I think this question is mute (is this the right word). I don't have a boyfriend, let alone a fiancé. But no self-pity from me today.

On Wednesday I have my theory exam for my diving lessons and the whole next weekend will be spent by me in a dirty little lake 1h from where I live. I already hate it. I wanted to dive in carribean waters, not mudholes. Ok... here was a little bit of self-pity.

Like I said, my life is hectic. I haven't even mentioned that I have my final PhD exam in about 3-4 weeks. Yay. Life is grand.

What I would love more than anything right now is take a sabbatical after my PhD. Take a year to travel to the south of France, to all my friends across Europe, Japan, etc and visit them. Go diving in Indonesia and Australia. Go to a zen monastery in Japan.

I probably won't be able to do that just now, but I am definitely thinking about finding a job that revolves around my life, not just a job that's completely seperate from my life.

Enough rambling (originally, I wanted to talk about the sense of smell and the connection to certain memories :D ). I hope you are well. I am. Stressed, but well. Alone, but well. Good, not great ;)

Take care.

Lyrics of the day: Do what you have to do by Sarah McLachlan

What ravages of spirit
Conjured this temptuous rage
Created you a monster
Broken by the rules of love
And fate has led you through it
You do what you have to do
And fate has led you through it
You do what you have to do ...
And I have the sense to recognize that
I don't know how to let you go
Every moment marked
With apparitions of your soul
I'm ever swiftly moving
Trying to escape this desire
The yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do
The yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do
But I have the sense to recognize
That I don't know how
To let you go
I don't know how
To let you go
A glowing ember
Burning hot
Burning slow
Deep within I'm shaken by the violence
Of existing for only you
I know I can't be with you
I do what I have to do
I know I can't be with you
I do what I have to do
And I have sense to recognize but
I don't know how to let you go

No comments: