Monday 1 June 2009

Ehm... yeah. About tradition.


Traditionally, I start my blog post with a pretty picture. Well... to make up for the horror you see on the upper picture, I took one of a pretty rose today to make it all better.

Let me talk about Saturday for a bit. A good friend of mine is getting married in 2 weeks, so on Saturday, all of us embarked on a traditional adventure known as stag night. For this purpose, we (and by we, I mean others) chose a venue that's a bit... peculiar? You probably all know the Octoberfest. Well... this is like the Octoberfest, but open air and with less space. For people like me, who

a) don't drink
b) eat meat maybe once a week
c) don't like being groped by drunk older women (excuse me while I control my shivering)

this is less than stellar. I went for it, because it was my friends day and not mine. Sometimes, you have to put your own wishes aside and do something for somebody else (I'm so noble, ain't I). So I'm in the biggest "Biergarten" (=beer garden) of Europe and thinking to myself:

Who are these people and what the frick is going through their mind?

1.3 million people in 12 days sit/stand/lie there and do what. They eat, drink, fuck (? probably... considering the state most of them are in), shout (!), dance, and have the ultimate good time. I'll be honest with you, I don't get it. Where did all of these people go wrong on the glorious road of evolution? I know that not everyone can be excited by a paintint or a symphony, but honestly? This is what you consider having a good time? Take another look at the picture at the top. There are so, so, so many people there making me wish I was somewhere else...

I don't get it and I'll be honest with you, I'm glad I don't. Don't get me wrong, I now and then enjoy a packed club and loud music (although I use ear protection ;), but this was disgusting. Maybe this is a good place to be thankful that noone I know reads this blog.

Anyway... in 2 weeks wedding and then we'll see. My life is running forward and in a few weeks I'll have graduated and have the possibility to get a new job, if I want to look for one.

One last thought. How do you think I would do studying philosophy at King's College in London? Because that's one of the things I'd love to do :)

I hope this post is finding you well and happy, take care.

Lyrics of the day: The Luckiest by Ben Folds

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here

And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a white sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away

I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know

That I am
I am
I am
The luckiest

No comments: