Saturday 30 August 2008

If you can't find what you're looking for in your own backyard, maybe you never really lost it at all.
















It's pride weekend in my home town and the weather is celebrating with the community. I took the opportunity and walked through my town in the morning to take some pictures.

I know that this is probably untrue for many young people, who wish nothing more than getting out of their home town, but for me it's different. I love my town, I really do. You can feel history wherever you walk. In the pavement, the churches and fortresses, the houses and in the general pulse of life.

We have a big university, so there are loads of young people populating the streets at night meandering between the pubs and bars and clubs. There is a big police training facility, so there is like no crime. Well, almost no crime.

With my job, I could work literally anywhere in the world. I could move to New York or San Francisco, Vancouver or Paris, London or Sydney... but I kinda don't want to. The only thing that could draw me to a big city like that is the density of gays (the more gays, the more suitable candidates for me. bad math, I know...).

The older I get, the more attached I get to my home. The hills and vineyards, forests and villages. I love traveling and visiting big cities for a while (Tokyo was awesome, so was Lisbon and Berlin... I'll tell you about those another time), but in the end it's like Faithless put it. "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts."

No comments: