Saturday 23 August 2008

A (new) start

I'd like to start this blog with a phrase from Gregory Maguire's Wicked:
...we're not old yet, but we're old enough to be old friends already, aren't we?

I feel that this is kind of true. I met people over the internet, watched their videos and read their blogs and although I haven't known them for a long time, I feel very close to them.

The internet has changed the dynamics of getting to know people. We virtually meet people from all over the world. People, who can be completely themselves in the virtual realm. We can say what we mean and how we feel without the dangers that would accompany these actions in reality. This allows friendships, relationships, communications to get to a way deeper lever way faster than before. 

Some people (mostly older people) just cannot understand that the rules have changed. Maybe forever. We can find and meet people that have similar interests, similar personalities and both sides have total control as to how deep these connections get. The digital age opens up possibilities that just haven't been there before. In any form.

This in itself is frightening to some and can be a danger to others, but it's the world we live in and I for myself enjoy it immensely. Belonging to a minority has never felt this comfortable ;)

No comments: