Friday 24 April 2009

BEDA 24 - Connections


I know... technically it's the 25th, but I'm not in bed yet, so for me the day isn't over. I won't lose BEDA. I won't.

Today a relatively short blog post. You know I love to ramble, but I'm very tired.

I just got back from a lovely party with friends from work. It was sad that I had to go, but I have a hair appointment tomorrow 8.30... I will be tired as hell. The thing is that lately, my friends from work seem more fitting for me than my old friends from childhood. I mean, it's understandable. What do I have in common with my old friends. My childhood. My history.

What do I have in common with my new friends? A common work place, spending 40+h a week together, common topics, gossip.

It kinda makes sense, I guess... but I wanted to talk to you about connections. I guess... mainly about twitter. These days, we can follow every celebrity who's on twitter. We know what they are doing, thinking, we can even talk to them by @replies.

Think about it. Everyone can just "talk" to every celebrity. Of course, they might not read it, they might not care... but it's a direct connection. To almost everyone imaginable.

After Ashton Kutcher's stunt with CNN, the media got wind about the power of twitter. It's like web 3.0. User-generated content with direct connections.

It's a short blog post, but it will end with lyrics ;)

No, I'm not colorblind
I know the world is black and white
Try to keep an open mind
But I just can't sleep on this tonight

Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
But honestly, won't someone stop this train?

Don't know how else to say it
Don't want to see my parents go
One generation's length away
From fighting life out on my own

Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
But honestly, won't someone stop this train?

So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game
To find a way to say that life has just begun

Had a talk with my old man
Said "help me understand"
He said "turn sixty-eight
You renegotiate"

"Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
And don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly we'll never stop this train"

Once in awhile, when it's good
It'll feel like it should
And they're all still around
And you're still safe and sound
And you don't miss a thing
Till you cry when you're driving away in the dark
Singing

Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can
Cause now I see I'll never stop this train

1 comment:

Life in a Glass House said...

I really like your posts. Usually I read one and lose interest, but yours are lovely. They make me think. A real step up from the blog I found yesterday written about some guy's cat.
It's hard for me to comment.. this page is all in German.

That's all (: